Convert PDF to image(PNG/JPG) in Javascript

Hi,

I want to turn a pdf into array of images(multiple pages pdf) using plain javascript. If the user uploads a pdf, I’m not viewing the pdf i.e not making use of any webviewer, I just want to convert the pdf into a image(png/jpg) in my javascript code by reading the uploaded pdf file.

I have gone through this link but i didn’t get a clear picture as the html contains some kind of logic and various libraries are being imported here.

As part fo this requirement I tried importing script src="…/…/…/lib/core/pdf/PDFNet.js" & script src="…/…/…/lib/core/CoreControls.js" js files into my class and when I try to print PDFNet i see the object getting printed .

Sample Code

var binary_string = atob(base64data);
            var len = binary_string.length;
            var bytes = new Uint8Array(len);
            for (var i = 0; i < len; i++) {
                bytes[i] = binary_string.charCodeAt(i);
            }
            const main = async() => {
                console.log('Beginning Test');
                const doc = await PDFNet.PDFDoc.createFromBuffer(bytes.buffer);
                doc.initSecurityHandler();
                doc.lock();

console.log('PDFNet and PDF document initialized and locked');
            };

Note : Facing issue with the async or await, code is not entering the async() block and i don’t see any error in the console. What should be done to resolve this issue. Trying out in chrome browser latest version(Version 90.0.4430.212).

TIA

Hello, I’m Ron, an automated tech support bot :robot:

While you wait for one of our customer support representatives to get back to you, please check out some of these documentation pages:

Guides:APIs:Forums:

This worked fine for me. I tried the following.

1. Downloaded WebViewer SDK: https://www.pdftron.com/downloads/WebViewer.zip
  2. Unzipped in a folder hosted by my server. In my case, my htdocs folder for my XAMPP server.
  3. Replace the file samples/full-apis/PDFDrawTest/PDFDrawTest.js with the attached one below.
  4. In browser navigate to localhost/yourfolder/samples/full-apis/PDFDrawTest/PDFDrawTest.js
  5. After a moment your browser will download the file atob_test.png

If the above does not work for you, please elaborate, including your full code, so I can review.

PDFDrawText_js.txt (3.4 KB)

Hi @Ryan ,

Can you look at my code and let me know why I’m seeing this error

Code

async initializePdftron() {
const pdfNet = window.PDFNet;
console.log('Async-Await started ', pdfNet);  // pdfNet object is getting printed
//Sample PDF in base64 format
var binary_string = atob(
    'JVBERi0xLjcKCjEgMCBvYmogICUgZW50cnkgcG9pbnQKPDwKICAvVHlwZSAvQ2F0YWxvZwog' +
    'IC9QYWdlcyAyIDAgUgo+PgplbmRvYmoKCjIgMCBvYmoKPDwKICAvVHlwZSAvUGFnZXMKICAv' +
    'TWVkaWFCb3ggWyAwIDAgMjAwIDIwMCBdCiAgL0NvdW50IDEKICAvS2lkcyBbIDMgMCBSIF0K' +
    'Pj4KZW5kb2JqCgozIDAgb2JqCjw8CiAgL1R5cGUgL1BhZ2UKICAvUGFyZW50IDIgMCBSCiAg' +
    'L1Jlc291cmNlcyA8PAogICAgL0ZvbnQgPDwKICAgICAgL0YxIDQgMCBSIAogICAgPj4KICA+' +
    'PgogIC9Db250ZW50cyA1IDAgUgo+PgplbmRvYmoKCjQgMCBvYmoKPDwKICAvVHlwZSAvRm9u' +
    'dAogIC9TdWJ0eXBlIC9UeXBlMQogIC9CYXNlRm9udCAvVGltZXMtUm9tYW4KPj4KZW5kb2Jq' +
    'Cgo1IDAgb2JqICAlIHBhZ2UgY29udGVudAo8PAogIC9MZW5ndGggNDQKPj4Kc3RyZWFtCkJU' +
    'CjcwIDUwIFRECi9GMSAxMiBUZgooSGVsbG8sIHdvcmxkISkgVGoKRVQKZW5kc3RyZWFtCmVu' +
    'ZG9iagoKeHJlZgowIDYKMDAwMDAwMDAwMCA2NTUzNSBmIAowMDAwMDAwMDEwIDAwMDAwIG4g' +
    'CjAwMDAwMDAwNzkgMDAwMDAgbiAKMDAwMDAwMDE3MyAwMDAwMCBuIAowMDAwMDAwMzAxIDAw' +
    'MDAwIG4gCjAwMDAwMDAzODAgMDAwMDAgbiAKdHJhaWxlcgo8PAogIC9TaXplIDYKICAvUm9v' +
    'dCAxIDAgUgo+PgpzdGFydHhyZWYKNDkyCiUlRU9G');

var len = binary_string.length;
var bytes = new Uint8Array(len);
for (var i = 0; i < len; ++i) {
    bytes[i] = binary_string.charCodeAt(i);
}

var blob = new Blob([bytes], {
    type: 'application/pdf'
});
var url = URL.createObjectURL(blob); 
console.log('Blob url  ', url);  //blob:https://*.com/5d9870c9-2b98-4697-a7d4-0871c15b5123
try {
    console.log('Beginning Test ', pdfNet.PDFDoc);  // Beginning Test  ƒ (id){this.name="PDFDoc";this.id=id}
    const doc = await pdfNet.PDFDoc.createFromURL(url);   // **Error with this line**
    console.log('PDFNet and PDF document initialized and locked');
} catch (ex) {
    console.log("Error", ex);
}
}    

Error

Error ReferenceError: maxNum is not defined
at checkArguments (PDFTron_PDFNet_JS:1097)
at Function.PDFNet.PDFDoc.createFromBuffer (PDFTron_PDFNet_JS:800)
at eval (PDFTron_PDFNet_JS:1131)
at async b.initializePdftron