Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: l.domNode.getBoundingClientRect is not a function

I do have some new info related to this issue. As reported before, I was seeing the exception “Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: l.domNode.getBoundingClientRect is not a function.” in my local environment in the console. I set up a lab and three different users saw the same exception there.

Recently, however, I set up a 2nd lab and everything works fine there with no exceptions, again for three different users. So we set up a third lab and once again, everything worked with no exceptions.

Is this a situation you have seen before? If so, do you have any guidance for dealing with it?

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you for your response,

Usually similar situation such as these were solved via a cache issue from an older version, but for this specific instance it may be due to the environment differences. You mentioned the first lab where the exception was caught for 3 different users, this environment likely has a different configuration than the other labs which caused the issue.

Best regards,
Kevin Kim

1 Like

Hey @kkim

We do have another piece of information available. The difference between the environments that work and those that have the error is the error is happening is environments that are configured to use WalkMe. Is this anything you’ve heard about from other customers?

1 Like

Hi Sherrel,

We do not have any information regarding the WalkMe application.

Best regards,
Kevin Kim

1 Like

Hello @kkim

Recently WalkMe took a look at the errors we reported to them and they gave the following response:

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you so much for your patience as my R&D team reviewed the issue with the tagging system. They have determined the issue is coming from an external library from the site called ‘Quill’.

This error that is being produced is a known issue with QuillJS. This can be seen here. The library has a potential fix to the bug that was added in 2022.

• The commit with the fix: Initial TypeScript setup · quilljs/quill@26412d5
  • The main part of the fix is in the file core/selection.ts with the addition of if (!(leaf.domNode instanceof Element)) return null; to the getBounds function (new line #202), but notice that it needs some other changes from this commit in order to work:
  • Another POSSIBLE fix to the bug may be changing line #183 in the code in the image above to if (node.nodeType === Node.TEXT_NODE) {, as it is less strict than instanceof, and it’s possible that this alone will be enough to fix the issue.

As the error is coming from the external library, we are unable to fix the error. Please pass along this information to the development team for the site.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Chris Wagner
WalkMe Support

logo

In the email above, they suggested that there could be a fix in a recent Quill commit. I am just passing along the information for Apryse to evaluate.

Sherrel

1 Like

Hi there,

As for quill, it looks like we are using the latest version could you please try updating WebViewer to the latest version (currently 10.4) and see if that may resolve your issue?

Best regards,
Kevin Kim

1 Like

Hi there,

I am also encountering this issue. I am using WebViewer 10.4.0, installed in a subdirectory in order to break cache, per your documentation.

This is happening after highlighting a piece of text, and clicking the Comment button on the highlight itself, then trying to save a comment in the sidebar. If I highlight text, then move to the Sidebar immediately to Comment, it work as expected.

1 Like

Hi there,

I was unable to reproduce this on our sample page and the showcase (both on WV 10.4): JavaScript PDF Viewer Demo
https://showcase.apryse.com/

Here is an attached video of my steps, could you please share if I’m missing a step?
52803.mov
Are you able to reproduce this in the showcase/sample?

Best regards,
Kevin Kim

1 Like